SEARCH FOR BOOKS FOR SALE
BOOKS FOR SALE
Roxburghe Club publications are produced in two states. Each member of the Club receives a copy bound in half calf. In the list of members of the Club, each recipient's name is printed in red ink. Normally, not more than 42 copies are printed in this form. Additionally a member can print up to 300 copies of the title usually bound in cloth. These are available for sale, usually through the antiquarian bookdealers listed below.
Maggs Brothers, 50 Berkeley Square, London W1J 5BA
Telephone: + 44 (0) 20 7493 7160
Fax: + 44 (0) 20 7499 2007
Attention of: Robert Harding
Bernard Quaritch Limited, 40 South Audley Street, London W1K 2PR
Telephone: + 44 (0) 20 7297 4888
Fax: + 44 (0) 20 7297 4866
Henry Sotheran Limited, 2 Sackville Street, Piccadilly, London W1S 3DP
Telephone: + 44 (0) 20 7439 6151
Fax: + 44 (0) 20 7434 2019
AN EARLY BRETON GOSPEL BOOK. A NINTH CENTURY MANUSCRIPT FROM THE COLLECTION OF H. L. BRADFER-LAWRENCE (1887-1965)
The manuscript was the oldest and most important in the collection formed by Harry Bradfer-Lawrence (1887-1965). The book was begun by Professor Francis Wormald. He discussed its antecedents, both Carolingian and Merovingian, and the marked influence of Tours that pointed to a Breton origin, and noted the Anglo-Saxon additions made in the tenth century. The death of both owner and author left the task unfinished, but the owner's son, Philip Bradfer-Lawrence, invited Professor Jonathan Alexander to finish the task. Alexander added a long note on Breton Gospel books, and pointed to the Norman invasion of Brittany in 919 as the occasion of its removal to England.
The book was printed in 1977, the text at Cambridge and the eight colour and 40 black-and-white plates in fine-screen photolithography by the Grove Press.
Select a sale item to view the details:
- HERALDO MEMORIALE. OR MEMOIRS OF THE COLLEGE OF ARMS FROM 1727 TO 1744.
- VOLTAIRE. THÉRÈSE, A FRAGMENT.
- ASPECTS OF FRENCH EIGHTEENTH CENTURY TYPOGRAPHY. By John Dreyfus.
- THE GARDYNERS PASSETAUNCE (c. 1512).
- REMEMBRANCES OF THINGS WORTH SEEING IN ITALY GIVEN TO JOHN EVELYN 25 APRIL 1646.
- TWO EAST ANGLIAN PICTURE BOOKS.
- THE LAST YEARS OF MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS.
- SIR THOMAS SMITH’S MISMANAGEMENT OF THE VIRGINIA COMPANY BY NICHOLAS FERRAR.
- SYON ABBEY.
- JAMES BOSWELL’S BOOK OF COMPANY AT AUCHINLECK.
- IL QUADRIREGIO.
- THE SEARCH FOR THE SOURCE OF THE NILE.
- JAN HUYGEN VAN LINSCHOTEN AND THE MORAL MAP OF ASIA.
- THE GREAT BOOK OF THOMAS TREVILIAN.
- RONALD FIRBANK. LETTERS TO HIS MOTHER, 1920-24 and LA PRINCESSE AUX SOLEILS.
- THE TOLLEMACHE BOOK OF SECRETS.
- THE WIZARD EARL’S ADVICES TO HIS SON.
- FRAGMENTA REGALIA. OBSERVATIONS OF THE LATE QUEENE ELIZABETH, HIR TIMES AND FAUORITES.
- THE ARUNDEL CHOIRBOOK.
- HOLKHAM LIBRARY: A HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION.
- THE LIBRARY OF THOMAS TRESHAM AND THOMAS BRUDENELL.
- INIGO JONES’S ROMAN SKETCHBOOK.
- THE CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN MR DISRAELI AND MRS BRYDGES WILLIAMS, 1851-1863.
- WALPOLE, HORACE. A Description of the Villa at Strawberry-Hill. A Facsimile of the copy extra-illustrated for Charles Bedford in the collection of Lord Waldegrave of North Hill. Edited by Nicolas Barker. The Roxburghe Club. 2010.
- THE BRUSH HAS BEAT THE POETRY! ILLUSTRATIONS TO LORD BYRON'S WORKS. EDITED BY JOHN R. MURRAY
- BIBLIOTHECA LINDESIANA.
- THE MIRROURE OF THE WORLDE. MS BODLEY 283 (ENGLAND c. 1470-1480).
- THE LUMLEY INVENTORY. ART COLLECTING AND LINEAGE IN THE ELIZABETHAN AGE. EDITED BY MARK EVANS. THE ROXBURGHE CLUB 2010.
- THE ROXBURGHE CLUB: A BICENTENARY HISTORY By Nicolas Barker. The Roxburghe Club, 2012
- A DYNASTY OF DEALERS: JOHN SMITH AND SUCCESSORS, 1801-1924. A STUDY OF THE ART MARKET IN NINETEENTH-CENTURY LONDON.
- The AMORES of Sigismondo Boldoni
- Esther Inglis's LES PROVERBES DE SALOMON, a facsimile with an introduction by Nicolas Barker
- AN EARLY BRETON GOSPEL BOOK. A NINTH CENTURY MANUSCRIPT FROM THE COLLECTION OF H. L. BRADFER-LAWRENCE (1887-1965)